Dynamic Collections are collections that are linked to one or more Saved Queries, and automatically updated whenever new scholarly works / patents matching the linked Saved Query are added to the search index.
This feature allows you to easily keep your collections up-to-date, with email alerts and notifications while enabling you to review the newly added items to that dynamic collection. If you already have a collection, you can easily convert it into a dynamic collection, by simply linking one or more Saved Queries to that collection. To do this, make sure to save the queries which you want to associate with your collection and enable alert notification for these.
You can create a new Dynamic Collection from any search result by simply clicking the “Save as Collection” button in the result list toolbar. The modal window will then present you with an option to make your collection dynamic (see screenshot below).
In addition, if you have already created a collection, you can convert it into a Dynamic Collection by linking one or more Saved Queries to that collection. This can be done from the Collection “Edit” control which is accessible from the header on the collection page or from the collection tab in your Work Area.
Your Dynamic Collections are listed on the Collection tab in your work area alongside other collections, and with their linked Saved Queries. An icon and label are also displayed on the collection page header to mark a collection as dynamic.
How to Use
Building a new dynamic Collection from a search result
- Make sure you are logged in to the Lens so you can start building a Dynamic Collection.
- Perfect your search strategy and choose a comprehensive search string that will give you the results needed for your analysis
- In the search result page and after you complete a preliminary filtering analysis and decide on the most relevant search results, select these and Create a new Collection in the toolbar above the search results or simply choose “Save as a collection” command listed on the results toolbar.
- This will open a modal window for the new Dynamic Collection, allowing you to name the collection, add a description, and render the collection dynamic by clicking on the checkbox available in that view.
- Upon doing so, your saved query is automatically linked to the new collection to render it dynamic.
- The Dynamic Collection can be linked to one or more Saved Queries, and updated whenever new scholarly works / patents matching the linked Saved Queries are added to the search index.
Converting an existing collection to a Dynamic Collection
Any existing collection can also be converted to a Dynamic Collection by linking one or more Saved Queries to the collection. To do so,
- Ensure you have saved the query(ies) with alerts enabled that you want to link to your collection.
- Go to your Collection tab in your work area and find the collection you want to convert to a Dynamic Collection.
- Click on the “Tools” ellipsis and select “Edit”, this will open the collection edit modal.
- Select the “Make Dynamic Collection” checkbox and a list of your Saved Queries will be presented on the modal.
- Select the Saved Query(ies) you want to link to your collection and click save.
Your collection is now dynamic and will be updated when there are new results matching the linked Saved Queries.
Disabling a Dynamic Collection.
- Go to your work area, collection tab and under the “Tools” click “edit”
- Uncheck the box where you marked “Make a Dynamic Collection
- If you also no longer require alert notification on the linked saved query, you can go to Saved queries tab, and disable the notification.
Reviewing new items added to a Dynamic Collection
With each data release, if there are new matching results based on the saved queries linked to the collection, the results are automatically added to the Dynamic Collections as well. The Lens will send an email notification with links so users can review the new additions matching the saved queries and review the newly added items to the Dynamic Collection. The same alerts and links can also be accessed from the notifications bell icon on the user’s work area sidebar.