The Lens enables you to link accounts from third-party services to your Lens account using Linked Services. This allows you to log into the Lens using your Linked Service account, and allows other users to see your Linked Service accounts on your recorded inventorship of patents / authorship of scholarly works, and provides additional features depending on the linked account type.
- Linking your LinkedIn account allows you to import your profile picture onto your Lens account and display your LinkedIn profile URL.
- Linking your ORCID account allows you to update your ORCID record with patents and scholarly works you have recorded inventorship or authorship for.
* LinkedIn and ORCID are registered trademarks.
Linked Services can be accessed from the user Account page, users must be logged in to manage their linked accounts.
How to Use
To link an account, simply:
- Head to the Linked Services box on your Account page – you need to be logged in for this.
- Click ‘link’ on the right hand side next to the corresponding service.
- A popup will open and take you to an authentication form of your third-party service. This page is provided by the third-party service and we have no control over the content of the page or the data you enter.
- Once you enter your account details and submit the form you will return to the Lens.
- The newly linked account should now show up in the list.
To remove a linked account, simply click on the “Remove” button next to the linked account.
N.B. under certain circumstances we might remove existing linkages from your account as a precaution. These include:
- If you choose to revoke the linked account from the Linked Services on your Account page,
- The granted permission time frame has expired,
- The account is found to be no longer operational during a regular status check.
In these cases, you can simply re-link the account using the “Re-link” button, as described in the linking step above.
N.B. It’s not possible to link the same third-party account to multiple Lens accounts – so just in case you have multiple Lens accounts, you can only link a single third-party account to one of them.
Linking an ORCID account requires the following permissions to make The Lens a trusted organisation for your ORCID account:
- Read your ORCID record: This will allow us to retrieve your ORCID record details to display on your profile.
- Add and update works: This will allow you to easily add any of your patents or scholarly works to your ORCID record.
Linking your LinkedIn account with the lens will take you to the LinkedIn login form to link your account. Once linked, you will be able to import your LinkedIn profile picture onto your Lens account and display your LinkedIn profile URL on your claimed works.
To import your LinkedIn profile picture, simply click on your LinkedIn profile picture after linking your account.
Registration with Linked Services
When you use a third party account that hasn’t previously been linked to a Lens account, we will try to retrieve and link any existing Lens account that shares the same verified email address.
If you haven’t previously created a Lens account we will simply set one up for you using your provided details. In this case, you might need to verify your email and choose a username before you can use the Lens account.
If you have an existing Lens account, we recommend linking the third party account first using the linkage instructions above. After that, you can use either your Lens account credentials or third party services to log in to the Lens.
Signing In with Linked Services
You can also use your third-party accounts to sign in to the Lens. To sign-in using third party services, you first need to link these accounts using the linkage instructions above. After the accounts have been linked you can simply choose the corresponding options in the sign in or registration dialog.
When you use a third-party account that hasn’t previously been linked to a Lens account, we will try to retrieve and link any existing Lens account that shares the same verified email address.