Tags are one of the many features available in The Lens. The primary use of tags is to label, organize and apply filters to patents or scholarly works. You can tag individual patents and scholarly works and apply filters using the Tags sidebar to retrieve your tagged works.
Tags can be added to the document from the search result page by clicking on the hashtag (#) icon. Once a tag is saved it appears below the individual patent or scholarly works as Tags can be added to the document from the search result page by clicking on the hashtag (#) icon. Once a tag is saved it appears below the individual patent or scholarly works associated with it.
Tags can also be added to a document from the individual scholarly or patent page by clicking on the ‘Tags’ button in the toolbar. The applied ‘Tag’ will appear below the bibliographic information in the individual document.
Sidebar Tags Panel
Tags are viewable from sidebar of the search results page. The Tags sidebar supports filtering with tags or launching a new search for a selected tag. The tag panel contains tags you added along with the number of associated patent or scholarly works.
Work Area Tags Tab
Registered users have access to the Tags tab in the work area that shows the number of patents and scholarly works linked with each tag. Together with filtering with tags, related patents or scholarly works are also accessible from this window.
How to Use
Tags can be applied to a scholarly work or patent in 2 ways; 1. from the search results list, and 2. on an individual scholarly work or patent page.
1. You can apply Tags from the search results list of a patent or scholarly works search using the following steps:
- Perform a patent or scholarly search.
- Click on the ‘#’ icon next to the each result to add tags.
- You can type multiple tags separated by comma. Tags cannot contain spaces, multi word tags can be delimited with underscores or some other character.
- Click ‘Save’ button to save the tags to individual patents or scholarly works.
2. You can apply Tags on an individual scholarly work or patent page by:
- Clicking on the ‘Tags’ button in the toolbar
- Add a tag and click ‘Save’
Retrieving Results With Tags
Retrieving the patents or scholarly works can be done from the sidebar tag panel or work area tag tab by merely clicking on the selected tag. You can launch a new search or apply further filters to the search queries by using the tags.
Filtering Queries with Tags
From an existing search results page you can filter search results with tags. Click on the added tag in the bottom of the individual listing further filter your search query by the corresponding tag.
Editing and Management
The tags tab in the work area provides functionality to edit and manage the tags. If you are a guest user you should register to access this feature. Here, you can delete and edit the tags added to the individual search patents or scholarly works.